After discovering that he would have no school on Monday, my son asked, “Mom, why do we have no school on days that aren’t really holidays and school on days that are holidays, like Halloween?”
Besides a surge of parental guilt that I had failed to instill in my son a deeper understanding of the importance of this day, I also realized that despite the fact that it may not include sugar-related traditions, it is a real holiday that we do celebrate. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is more than a celebration of the man, it’s a celebration of his mission, to do what he could with what he had, for the benefit of his fellow man. What better way to celebrate that, than by making the holiday that honors him a day of service?
“The time is always right to do what is right.”
— Martin Luther King Jr., from Oberlin College Commencement speech, 1965
There are plenty of opportunities to have fun this weekend. Be sure to also find an opportunity to serve. Here are a few suggestions of what to do in and around Bellingham for Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. And don’t forget to check out our full events calendar for all the fun happenings in Whatcom County.
- Enhance your understanding at the 20th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Human Rights Saturday Conference.
- Give shoes to someone in need.
- Support the work of Animals as Natural Therapy.
- Enjoy a great performance as BAAY Presents: Xanadu.
- Experience the fun and camaraderie of the CMU Drumming Circle.
- Uplift youth with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Whatcom County.
- Learn about Mason Bees: Alternative Pollinators.
- Explore the Whatcomics Art Show.
- Learn a new craft at Ragfinery—Embroidered Word of the Year.
- Help our feathered friends by supporting Sardis Raptor Center.
- Start the new year off right with Clearing Clutter for the New Year.
- Share a laugh with your community at Ladies of Laughter: Funny & Fabulous.
- Grab a bite at Big Stick BBQ.
- Find your own way to give back like Leroy Carlson.
- Check out the peaceful music of Dean and Dudley Evenson.
- Lend your green thumb to Growing Alliances.
- Give a hand up with The Whatcom Dream.
- Go for a relaxing float.
- Support local foster kids with Skookum Kids.
- Pitch in on one of Dr. Binay Shah’s humanitarian missions.
- Grab sushi with a friend.
- Find a way to serve with Habitat for Humanity in Whatcom County.
- Get creative!
- Read some great local stories.
- Help uplift our homeless youth with Northwest Youth Services and families with Lighthouse Mission.
- Focus on health at Wellness Day at the Co-op.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”
—Martin Luther King Jr., from Strength to Love, 1963
Up Next Weekend:
- Five for Fighting with String Quartet
- Boundary Bay & The Bellingham Folk Festival
- Dr. Enz and Mr. Pklz
- Make Your Own Ghee
- A Day of Mending
- Travel to Cuzco and Machu Picchu with Lawrence Pang
- BAAY Presents: Xanadu
- Cedar Weaving Workshop
- Learn to Grow a Vegetable Garden
- The Fight Against Human Trafficking
- Bellingham Chamber Music Society Presents: Milica Jelaca Jovanovic
- Gin Bottling Party at BelleWood Distilling
“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
—Martin Luther King Jr., from Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, Oslo, Norway, 1964.
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.
Feature photo credit: Jodi Broughton