As I settle more fully into the glorious days of summer, I find myself enjoying the little things—an afternoon playing with the kids in the sprinklers, reading a book in the shade, a truly sublime ice cream cone (or two). I’m also finding renewed joy in local community events and the personal connections they bring. We live in an amazing place. Let’s savor it. Be sure to check out these fun Whatcom County weekend events for Aug. 11-13, including our great local farmers’ markets. The produce is ripe and ready to enjoy! And don’t forget to check our full events calendar for all the great local happenings this weekend.
- Find ways to get engaged at Indivisible Rising: A Celebration of Community Activism.
- Check out Kuinka in Pioneer Park.
- Or rock out at the SpaceBand Concert in the Park
- Discover more about our community at NookChat: Community Storytelling
- Delight in some truly great ice cream.
- Stock up on fresh, locally grown, healthy produce at the Ferndale Farmers Market, Bellingham Farmers Market and Twin Sisters Farmers Market.
- Go see I Love You, You’re Perfect … Now Change.
- Try some delicious Ethiopian Food.
- Indulge in some classic summer activities.
- Reconnect your family with nature.
- Take the family out to eat at these delicious and affordable local restaurants.
- Jump in the water and go for a swim.
- Dancers—check out Michele Miller’s Contemporary Dance Master Class.
- Hit the trails for some of the best mountain biking in the state.
- Learn to make a perfect pesto.
- Hike the great outdoors.
- Make a great Strawberry Spinach Salad.
- Enjoy a hike with a view.
- Spend some time at Spark Museum.
Up Next Weekend:
- Northwest Washington Fair
- Documentary Night: Cooked with Michael Pollan
- Angels in America at Pickford Film Center
- Socrates Cafe at Village Books
- Help! My Husband Has Gone Missing, My Daughter is Getting Married and I Am Having Hot Flashes
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.
Photo credit: Jodi Broughton