As temperatures drop, there’s nothing I’d rather do than curl up with a nice hot cup of cocoa and one of my favorite Christmas movies. If I’m feeling particularly indulgent, I might call for food from one of my favorite restaurants. I don’t even have to change out of my pajamas thanks to Viking Food delivery.
But eventually all this laziness gets old and it’s time to go out and play. Fortunately there are lots of fun things to do around Whatcom County this weekend. Here are a few highlights exciting enough to get anyone up and off the couch. Don’t forget to check our calendar for a full list of all the fun happenings.
- Take the whole family out to the Holiday Festival of the Arts. There will be art workshops for the kids, live music and lots of amazing handmade items perfect for thoughtful and sustainable giving.
- Check out the latest innovations in the Cannabis trade at Satori Cannabis Boutique’s grand opening.
- Go for a ride on the Santa Train at the Miniature World Family Fun Center. In this 20-minute long adventure you’ll see over a million lights! Santa will be waiting to meet passengers with cocoa and candy canes.
- Get lost in the post-World War II story of Veterans Bob Wallace and Phil Davis in Irving Berlin’s White Christmas. The dazzling score features 17 Irving Berlin songs, including well-known standards Blue Skies, I Love A Piano, How Deep Is the Ocean and the perennial favorite, White Christmas.
- Spend some time with jolly old Saint Nick at BelleWood Acres, Yeagers and the Sheraton.
- Stop by Whatcom Museum’s Deck the Old City Hall festivities. The building will be decorated in garlands, wreaths and sparkling lights. It will feature more than 20 themed, decorated trees. In addition to the festive decorations, the program will feature visits with Santa, a pop-up shop and a signature cocktail party to kick-off the holidays.
- Experience the fun and whimsy of Harry Connick Jr’s “The Happy Elf” at the Thomas Theatre. This production tells the tale of Eubie the Elf as he goes on a musical mission to bring Christmas cheer to a town on Santa’s naughty list. Or be delighted by the classic antics of the mischievous Pippi Longstocking at the BAAY Theatre.
- Witness the holiday magic and majesty of The Nutcracker. The season simply isn’t complete without this holiday classic.
- Fall into the world of Hugo, a wily and resourceful boy on a quest to unlock a secret left to him by his father. Watch “The Invention of Hugo Cabret” at the Pickford Film Center.
- Shake off the winter blues, get outside and stretch your legs with one of these beautiful winter hikes.
- Swing by one of these great local establishments for a cup of something to warm your hands and your heart.
- Get into the holiday spirit with these great Christmas music playlists from the Mount Baker Theatre.
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.