Rain, rain go away, come again another day … or not. Grey and cloudy is the definition of spring in the pacific northwest. Being a transplant to the area, I’m still relatively new to these soggy days. But I’m finding ways to combat the gloom. Hot chocolate, regular chocolate, feel good movies and good books all help. But the most helpful, if counter-intuitive, solution of all is going out to play anyway. Nothing beats the gray like a day of fun. Fortunately, there is lots of fun to be had in Whatcom County. Here are a few Whatcom County weekend events to get you started. And don’t forget to check our full events calendar for all the fun happenings.
- Get into the St. Patrick’s day spirit and support Meals on Wheels at this Traditional Irish Dinner and Silent Auction. You’ll enjoy delicious corned beef and cabbage provided by Haggen Market Street Catering, local brews, a silent auction, entertainment by the popular Celtic band, Maggie’s Fury, and more at the beautiful Bellingham Cruise Terminal.
- Laugh away the rainy day blues with The Upfront Theatre at “Against All Odds” and “Face Off.” “Against All Odds” is an inspirational underdog story of triumph against the odds. It features a crazy coach, a nasty rival and, best of all, a classic inspirational training montage. “Face Off” takes improv to a whole new level by making it competitive. Watch as improvisers enter the proverbial coliseum of comedy to battle against each other with the audience serving as the judge and jury of comedy quality.
- Get ready for spring with Pruning 101 at the Blaine Library. Discover which tools to use, why pruning matters, what decisions are needed depending on the growth habits of your trees/bushes and more. Learn how to get those overgrown trees back in shape too.
- Join the revolution to end child abuse at the Brigid Collins Family Support Center Annual Benefit. The “All We Need is Love” 60s inspired event will feature approximately 200 silent and live items, a dessert dash and paddle raise. There will be something for everyone at this event, which culminates with a dance party sure to make you twist and shout.
- Take to the trails and get a little muddy. Our Ultimate Mountain Biking Trail Guide will get you started on the right track.
- Cast away with a band of swashbuckling pirates for joyful tunes and the timeless magic of Gilbert and Sullivan with The Pirates of Penzance at Mount Baker Theatre. Join this theatrical band of buccaneers, bumbling British bobbies, frolicsome Victorian maidens and the delightfully dotty “model of a modern Major-General” for a rollicking romp over the rocky coast of Cornwall. This exuberant musical theater masterpiece is sure to please.
- Take a cue from Talking to Crows and Women’s History Month and take some time to honor the women in your life. We have all been positively impacted by good women. Offer a heartfelt thank you and take some time to return the favor.
- Kick back and relax with WhatcomTalk’s Most Read Stories in February.
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.