If you’re an art fan, this weekend in Whatcom County has a myriad of ways for you to take in new views, from Art Walk in downtown Bellingham to Barbara Sternberger’s new exhibit at the Inn in Lynden. Are plays more your thing? The symphony? How about a tribute to Ray Charles at the gorgeous Mount Baker Theatre? There’s something for everyone happening around town. Check out a few highlights below and access our full events calendar here.
- It’s the first Friday of the month, which means Art Walk across downtown Bellingham. Start at Make.Shift and take in its opening of Always Look on the Bright Side of Mental Illness, an opportunity to “stick their tongues out to distress.”
- See Northwest abstract painter Barbara Sternberger’s new exhibit at the Inn at Lynden.
- Celebrate the music of Ray Charles at the Mount Baker Theatre.
- Take part in a free National Girls and Women in Sports Day Celebration at Prime Sports Institute.
- Gallery Syre wraps up its current Youth Artist Exhibition.
- Don your best roaring ’20s ensemble and raise money for a wonderful cause at Lydia Place’s Hearts for Housing Gala & Auction.
- Australian C.W. Stoneking, dubbed one of the finest ambassadors of modern old-time, presents a special acoustic concert at the YWCA Ballroom.
- Explore the Global Language of Headwear: Cultural Identity, Rites of Passage, and Spirituality exhibit at Whatcom Museum Old City Hall.
- Catch Davis, a new play by Dinah Lankerovich, directed by Michael Morgen and presented by the iDiOM Theater.
- Serial Killers returns to the Sylvia Center for the Arts, a sudden-death tournament of episodic plays—voted on by audience members—that culminates in theatrical glory and cash prizes.
- Enjoy what promises to be a powerful, beautiful, and inspiring performance as the Bellingham Symphony Orchestra presents Finlandia, featuring works by Svendsen, Kabalevsky, and Sibelius.
WhatcomTalk strives to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.
Featured photo by Russell Clapp