I was just walking through town when I noticed a bright pop of color emerging from a flowerbed nearby. Upon closer inspection, I discovered a handful of timidly blossoming tulips. At least I think they were tulips. I’ve never had enough of a green thumb to really get into flowers. But I do know they were alive, thriving and actively emerging from the cold of winter. Now, like those brave little buds, it’s time to emerge, get out and have some fun! Luckily, there are plenty of fun Whatcom County weekend events to get you out of the house and into the sun (or rain- but nevermind that). Here are a few to get you started but don’t forget to check our full events calendar for all the fun happenings this weekend.
- Take the kids out for a little Saint Patrick’s Day fun with cookie decorating at Whole Foods Market. It is sure to be fun, delicious and you don’t have to clean up the mess!
- Go see BAAY Theatre’s Godspell. This major musical theater offering from three-time Grammy and Academy Award winner Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Pippin, Children Of Eden) took the world by storm.
- Laugh your socks off with the Ladies of Laughter at Mount Baker Theatre. Stephanie Blum is a multiple comedy award-winner whose hilarious irreverence is offset by her background as a psychologist and parent. You’ll recognize the wit of Dana Eagle from appearances on the Late, Late Show, Comedy Central, Comics Unleashed and more. Alycia Cooper won the National Professional Grand Champion title and has brought her take-no-prisoners comedy assault to many TV shows and national appearances. Make your March madcap with these champions of comedy.
- Or turn your frustration into humor with famed comedian Lewis Black on his “The Rant, White & Blue” tour. Lewis’ live performances provide a cathartic release of anger and disillusionment for his audience. Lewis yells so we don’t have to. He is the rare comic who can cause an audience to laugh themselves into incontinence while making compelling points about the absurdity of our world.
- Jog, walk or race in the Ferndale 5k and 10k Fun Run. Just pick the length you’d like to run and set off through beautiful Hovander Park under the mountain. It’s a great way to shake off those winter blues.
- Get crafty at the 31st Annual Spring Craft & Antique Show. Here you can enjoy all the fabulous booths featuring handcrafted wares, home and garden decor, gourmet food, re-purposed and up-cycled vintage treasures and more. It is one of the largest shows of its kind in the Northwest.
- Join author Debu Majumdar for a tour of north India, from the plains to the Himalayas. The presentation will be based on Debu’s novel “Sacred River: A Himalayan Journey.” This novel is set in India and has a message for peace and renewal in life, while sharing travels in India, hiking to the Himalayas, a gold heist from a temple, legends and folk stories.
- You never know what the future holds so get prepared for earthquake, flood or fire with the Red Cross. Learn about emergency preparedness, local natural hazards, how to build inexpensive and effective disaster kits and more at this disaster preparedness workshop. Complimentary take-home materials will include basic first aid kits and disaster preparedness calendars.
- Stop by BelleWood Acres for a little springtime fun on the farm or a giant piece of the area’s most delicious homemade pie.
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.