Well, Valentine’s Day has come and gone but there is still plenty of fun, both romantic and otherwise, to be had this weekend. So carpe diem and explore the great outdoors, experience the urban epicenter and engage in new experiences. Here are a few fun Whatcom County and Bellingham weekend events to get you started. Remember to check our full events calendar for all the fun happenings this weekend.
- Delve into whole new worlds with the Bellingham Film Festival. Follow the dangerous sea journey of a Syrian refugee to safe haven in Europe. Witness the growing global resistance to the use of fossil fuels. Understand homelessness in Bellingham within the larger context of homelessness in the US. These are just a few of the amazing options showing this weekend.
- Do you suffer from Glossophobia: The fear of public speaking? Or would you just like to polish your presentation skills? If so, come experience the fun and the friendly, supportive learning environment that is a Toastmasters club at a special Barkley Toasters Open House.
- Kick back and relax at Stones Throw Brewery to the sounds of Skellig, a local Bellingham, three-piece band that plays traditional Celtic, Americana, English and acoustic rock and roll. Enjoy a pint, foot-tapping good music and street food. It’s free and family-friendly.
- The dating world can be tough, which makes watching others try their hand at it hilariously entertaining. This weekend you can bust a gut at the Upfront Theatre’s presentation of Cupid’s Arrow – an improvised dating game, inspired by the classic 1960’s and 70’s show, The Dating Game.
- Step into H.G. Wells’ famous War of the Worlds at the Pickford Film Center. It’s sure to leave an impression.
- Break loose at One Night of Queen performed by Gary Mullen & the Works at Mount Baker Theatre. This spectacular live concert event recreates the look, sound, pomp and showmanship of arguably the greatest rock band of all time. Hailed as the world’s premier Queen tribute, Gary Mullen’s pitch-perfect imitation of icon Freddie Mercury has won rave reviews throughout 13 years of touring.
- Stretch your mind and connect with others at Village Books Reads Book Club. Science fiction and fantasy can be a great escape, but it can also be a great way to examine social issues and alternative viewpoints or identities. It’s a great way to see contemporary problems or questions in a new light.
- Stop into the new Galloway’s Cocktail Bar in Fairhaven. This unique location offers novel drinks like the “Southside Queen” (made of Hendrick’s Gin, Giffard Elderflower liqueur, honey syrup, egg white and sage) as well as a delicious cheese and meat plate.
- Take a cue from these Whatcom County residents and find a way to give back this weekend.
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.
Photo credit: Jodi Broughton