Good news, everyone! This weekend holds National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day, Greek National Day and Pecan Day. If those aren’t enough for you, Sunday is “Make Up Your Own Holiday Day.” Who knew? Not I. But who doesn’t love any reason to celebrate? You can get out and celebrate the weekend itself with these fun Whatcom County weekend events and don’t forget to check our full events calendar for all the fun happenings this weekend.
- Check out Humanities Washington Speaker and University of Washington Senior Lecturer Anu Taranath’s presentation of “Not Just for Kids: How Children’s Literature Inspires Bold Conversations.” It promises to be both engaging and enlightening.
- Get lost in the excitement of The Toad Prince at Mount Baker Theatre. In this delightful tale, the son of a magical water sprite and a prince of toads, Indri must learn to place another’s needs before his own. Inspired by the compassion of a courageous friend, Indri discovers that true beauty is found within the kindness we show and accept from others.
- Pitch in to improve our area with the Whatcom Land Trust Work Party. This activity will include tree planting and invasive plant control at Fenton Nature Reserve near Custer. This incredible property is home to a gorgeous beaver pond and salmon-bearing stream and is one of the largest natural areas in the northern part of the county. Your efforts to suppress blackberry and English holly will help keep this special place usable for creatures great and small.
- Stretch your legs and have some fun with the latest in the 5K Trail Winter Run Series. Nothing feels better than shaking off the winter blues and going for an invigorating outdoor run.
- Pick up a delightful new skill with Fiddle for the Absolute Beginner at the Bellingham Folk School. This workshop is the perfect starting point for potential fiddlers of all ages. Bring your own instrument or borrow one from our neighbor, Allegro Strings Violins. We’ll cover basic care and maintenance, parts of the fiddle and how they work, how to find the notes and play a simple tune.
- Bike down to Cafe Velo for a delicious meal and a little biking community camaraderie. Or, swing by Brotha Dudes for some fast, healthy and delicious eats sure to please.
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.