I love this time of year—twinkling lights, happy holiday music and friendly smiles greet you everywhere you go. And the Christmas season brings out charitibility like no other time of year. Washington Irving once said, “Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.” What a lovely sentiment.
Comedian Bob Hope phrased it a little differently, “If you haven’t got any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble.”
Be sure to take advantage of the many opportunities to pitch in and give back this week. There are several events that will make it easy, and several more that are just plain fun. Here are some of the great happenings in and around Bellingham Dec. 15—17. And be sure to check out our full events calendar for more!
- Savor the season at Fairhaven’s Winterfest!
- Get lost in holiday wonder as BAAY Presents: The Snow Queen.
- Learn Gift Wrapping with Textiles at Ragfinery.
- Celebrate at BelleWood’s Holiday Festival.
- Experience the GallowGlass Irish Band Dinner Show at Lovitt Restaurant.
- Gather with friends and support a good cause at the South Whatcom Library Holiday Tea.
- Get your shopping done at the Holiday Pop Up Shop!
- Enjoy Gallery Tours at the Jansen Art Center.
- Learn a new skill with Let’s Make Mozzarella!
- Kick back and relax to the sweet sounds of The Jazz Project: The Art of Jazz.
- Savor the lovely melodies of the Kulshan Chorus Winter Concert: Choosing Joy—A Soul Journey.
- Search for truth the Socratic way at Socrates Cafe.
- Revel as Bellingham Community Chorus sings Sounds of the Holidays.
- Be inspired as Whatcom Chorale and Sinfonia Present Handel’s Messiah.
- Enjoy a little light reading.
- Help your kids learn to skate.
- Indulge in some locally made, sustainable beverages from Atwood Ales.
- Contribute to a worthy cause.
- Get your tickets for upcoming holiday shows at MBT.
- Curl up with a good book.
- Learn the art of printmaking.
- Start a new digital audiobook from Village Books.
- Pick out your Christmas Tree.
- Give a pair of shoes to someone in need with Hearts to Soles.
- Play games with friends.
- Donate gifts to a family in need.
- Finish up your holiday shopping or give your loved ones the gift of experience from MBT.
- Enjoy the conversation at the Village Books Reads Book Club.
- Support local youth through the Boys & Girls Clubs of Whatcom County.
- Give your little loved ones the perfect holiday gift—relaxation.
- Enjoy some beautiful art.
- Buy a stranger a cup of hot chocolate.
- Support art in schools with the SaveArt! program.
- Wish everyone you meet happy holidays, happy Hanukkah, merry Christmas and more!
- Enjoy a relaxing dinner at Mykonos Restaurant.
- Get your holiday gifts in the mail and celebrate your accomplishment with a delicious and locally made bottle of brew from Atwood Ales.
- Remember, “We’re all in this together.”
Up Next Weekend:
- Northwest Ballet Theater Presents: The Nutcracker
- Teen Fab Friday
- Open Mic at Village Inn Pub & Eatery
- Sleighbells Ring—Bellewood’s Holiday Festival
- Fairhaven’s Winterfest
WhatcomTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and throughout Whatcom County. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Bellingham and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar. To submit an event of your own, visit our events calendar and click on the green “Post Your Event” button.